{Effie Reviews} World After by Susan Ee

Posted June 14, 2014 by Effie in Reviews / 0 Comments

{Effie Reviews} World After by Susan Ee

World After


by Susan Ee
Series: Penryn & the End of Days #2
Published on November 19th, 2013
by Skyscape
Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian, Paranormal, Angels
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Amazon | B&N | BookDepository | Goodreads

Also by this author: Angelfall, World After, Angelfall, End of Days, End of Days

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

4 Stars

I just finished World After and in my opinion it’s almost as good as Angelfall was. Although I do think there were a bit more boring parts in this one than in Angelfall, if I’m honest. But overal it was really good!

The story continues where Angelfall ended. Penryn has been stung by one of the scorpions thingies or locusts as the Angels call them and she was able to save her little sister, however Paige isn’t the little girl she once was. She’s been experimented on and now looks more like a doll with stitches all over her body and face, than a little girl, even her appetite has changed. Which causes a lot problems once inside the Resistance. Penryn and her mom try to protect Paige but in the end, she escapes after something terrible happens and Paige and her mom go after her, to try and find her again. And it throws Penryn right back into danger and this time, Raffe isn’t there to save her since he disappeared at the end of Angelfall with his new demon wings, instead of his beautiful white angel wings. And the longer she searches for her sister, the more Penryn discovers about the Angels’ plan and why they attacked.

It’s all very exciting to read about and I’m gonna stop right there, because my hands are itching to say more on the story, but I don’t want to spoil it for future readers, so I’ll refrain myself from doing just that.

As a character I don’t think Penryn evolved much from who she is in Angelfall to World After, she’s still the same and in a way I think that’s good. Because I like Penryn the way she is now and I believe she’ll most likely grow more as a character in the third book anyway. As for Raffe, he didn’t get as much “air time” in this book as he did in Angelfall. Which is a shame because I really liked him. But he does show up in the last 30% or so, if I’m not mistaken it more than makes up for his physical lack of presence in the other 70%, because of the “looking moments” the sword provides Penryn with. As for Penryn’s mom, she still just as insane as in the other books, but somehow I think we haven’t even scratched the surface of who this woman really is and who she really is communicating with constantly. As for Paige, I feel really sorry for her, for being turned into whatever the hell she is now, but she’s gonna be really important in the other books I think, because she can do something none of the kids that were turned like here, can do.

Now I do have one minor point about this book, it’s that it’s a bit more boring then Angelfall, I can’t exactly explain why or how. It just was, I guess. But this book still deserves the 4 STARS, I’m awarding it with.

Effie

Tags: , , ,

Like what you see? Enter your email here to get Quite the Novel Idea directly in your mail box. Great, huh?

Enter your e-mail address below to receive new posts directly in your inbox!

Leave a Reply

(Enter your URL then click here to include a link to one of your blog posts.)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.